Hand Eye Coordination is the first rule for a Crane operatorOverhead cranes
are used in different process of various industries
like manufacturing, construction, packaging industries. Heavy beams, Rolls, Packaged Boxes or even molten metal are moved through these Cranes. They can be operated by remote control when the height is normal range or may be cabin controlled depending on the capacity of the crane
. Radio Remote is used to operate in case of special requirements. The operator needs to be well verse through the control process of the crane. An overhead crane operator relies on hand-eye coordination and judgment to safely
and heavy objects.
- Crane Speed: Know that safe overhead crane operation requires an ability to lower and lift loads accurately while controlling the crane’s speed. Crane operators must be able to read grade plans and judge height, distance and the weight of the load the crane is carrying. Errors can cause cranes to tip and cables to snap.
- Keep learning: Overhead crane operators must have a basic understanding of math and physics as well as good depth perception and mechanical aptitude.
- Co-ordination with your team: Develop good communication skills, which are essential for safe crane operation. When an operator’s view is obscured he must rely on radioed instructions or the hand and flag signals of other works to correctly place or pick up a load. Crane operators must also be able to time their movements with those of other workers.
- On job Training: Whenever you a new site, get familiar with the workers with whom you will be working. It is equally important for other workers to know your crane operating methods. It is recommended to have a mock operation with you whole team at site.
- Get Certified: There are two ways of obtaining crane operator training in India. You can enroll in a university or a technical college offering a course in crane operations. Alternatively, you can register with a crane operator company as a trainee. In such a case, you are taken through an apprenticeship program where most of work is practical. A degree involves both practical and theoretical work and is the easiest way.
- Acclimate yourself: Crane operators must be able to handle extreme temperatures, gas fumes and noisy environments. They must have calm temperaments and be able to work well under pressure for extended periods of time.
- Be Alert on site: Be aware of electrocution risk of hitting power lines when operating overhead cranes.